What is Starch?
Starch is used as a thickening, stabilizing and binding agent in many foods, including soups, sauces, gravies and baked products. Unmodified starches are relatively easy to disperse and generally do not increase in viscosity until heated or cooked. Starch can be modified by a number of methods to obtain functional properties such as texture, appearance, viscosity and stability under heating or freezing.
Where is Starch used?
- Sauces & Dressings
- Baked Products
Difficulties associated with mixing starch:
- Formation of agglomerates when starch powder is added to water.
- Once viscosity increase has started, agitation of the solution can become increasingly hard.
- Long mixing times to achieve desired hydration of the powder.
- Potential full yield difficult to obtain through raw material losses.
- Premixing of powdered ingredients
- Undissolved starch can gradually hydrate after processing which can lead to undesired changes in product viscosity.
Mixquip high shear solution:
Mixquip High Shear agitators provide benefits and overcome the problems associated with mixing of starch.
- The mixing vessel is charged with liquid and the agitator is started. Starch is added to the water as fast as possible as the high speed rotation of the rotor pulls the liquid and powder into the workhead where they are instantly combined.
- Forces draw the powder and liquid into the workhead where they are subjected to intense high shear. The product is forced out and back into the main solution.
- Fresh materials are constantly drawn into the workhead. The vigorous movement in the vessel ensures that in a short mixing cycle all the material passes many times through the workhead, progressively reducing the particle size and exposing an increasing surface area to the surrounding liquid. This rapidly completes hydration.
High Shear mixer options:
- Agglomerate free mix achieved
- Operator error eliminated
- Rapid mixing times
- Consistency and uniformity between batches
- Powder incorporated easily despite increase in viscosity
- Maximised yield and starch is fully hydrated.
Contact Mixquip to learn more
For more information about our high-shear mixer range and use in dispersion of starch, contact our team on 1300 20 70 20 or email email@example.com. Our team look forward to discussing your application and help improve production for process demands.