What are gelatine solutions?
A protein derived from collagen, Gelatin is a colourless, tasteless and odorless powder used as a gelling agent in many applications. It is widely used in the food industry in confectionery products such as jellied lollies, as well as other food goods such as meat products and dairy and desserts. It can be used in low-fat products to replace texture and mouthfeel that is lost with removal of the fat. It is also used in beverages as a clarifying agent for beers and wines.
What is gelatine used in?
- Meat Products
Difficulties associated with mixing gelatine:
- Formation of agglomerates, conventional agitators do not provide enough shear to break these down leading to long mixing times.
- High raw material costs as lots of formulations include unnecessarily high levels of gelatine.
- Long mixing times to reach required hydration.
- Difficult to disperse powders after viscosity increase has started.
- Rehydration of gelatine proves a slow and difficult process as it easily forms lumps when added to water.
- If the gelatine hasn’t been properly dispersed, this can gradually hydrate during storage leading to undesired changes in product viscosity.
Mixquip high shear solution:
Use of a Mixquip High Shear agitator provides benefits in speeding up processing times and operations for mixing gelatine into solution.
- Gelatine is added into the mixing vessel.
- The high speed rotation of the rotor blade pulls the gelatine and liquid into the workhead where they are intensively mixed between the rotor and stator.
- The mixture is them pushed through the holes in the stator and back into the main body of the mix. This process repeats ensuring the powder is fully dispersed and hydrated.
High Shear Mixer Options:
- Gelatine can be added directly into the mixing vessel.
- Agglomerate free mix achieved.
- Maximized yield.
- Product can be formulated with reduced gelatine, reducing raw material costings.
- Consistency in product quality and stability across all batches.
- Fast mixing and processing times.
Contact Mixquip to learn more
For more information about our high-shear mixer range and use in preparation of gelatine solutions, contact our team on 1300 20 70 20 or email email@example.com. Our team look forward to discussing your application and help improve production for process demands.