What is Pectin?
Obtained from a variety of different fruits. Pectin is classed as a polysaccharide. It is used for gelling and thickening agent in a wide range of foods, including jams and other preserves.
What is Pectin used in?
Difficulties associated with mixing Pectin:
There are several problems in the dispersion of gums and thickeners using a standard agitator, these include:
- Formation of agglomerates, pectin particles remain undissolved inside the agglomerates. Standard agitators don’t not provide enough shear to break these down.
- Difficult to obtain potential full yield.
- Slow powder addition in order to reduce the formation of agglomerates.
- Pre-mixing of dry ingredients, which in turn increases labour costs and process times.
- Long mixing times to complete required dispersion and hydration.
- Partially hydrated pectin removed during filtration is wasted, increasing costs and reducing product quality.
- As viscosity increase starts, the agitation of the solution and powder dispersion becomes increasing difficult.
- Any undissolved pectin can gradually hydrate during storage and processing, leading to undesired changes in product viscosity.
Mixquip High Shear Solution
Using a Mixquip High Shear Mixers enables processing times to be reduced, improves product quality and eliminates operator error.
- Pectin is added to the water and dispersed. The high-speed rotation of the rotor blade creates powerful force drawing the water and pectin from the vessel into the workhead.
- The water and pectin are exposed to intense shear in the walls of the workhead where they are instantly combined, breaking down all agglomerates.
- The product is forced back out into the vessel as fresh material is drawn into the workhead.
High Shear Mixer options for Pectin dispersion
- Agglomerate-free mix achieved.
- No pre-mixing of dry ingredients required.
- Fast mixing times.
- Consistent product quality and repeatability.
- Stable viscosity of the end product.
- Rapid powder absorption rate.
- Yield of pectin is maximised, obtaining full gelling effect.
- Filtration stage can be eliminated.
Contact Mixquip to learn more
For more information about our high-shear mixer range and use in successful dispersion of pectin, contact our team on 1300 20 70 20 or email email@example.com. Our team look forward to discussing your application and help improve production for process demands.