What is Carboxymethyl Cellulose?
Carboxymethyl cellulose is a water-soluble hydrocolloid from cotton or wood pulp. Used in the food industry, either alone, or in combination with other hydrocolloids as a thickening and stabilizing agent and to bind free water. Example applications include beverages, cheese, ice cream, sauces, baked goods and frozen desserts. It can also be used to improve mouthfeel in powdered beverages.
Where is Carboxymethyl Cellulose used?
- Frozen desserts
Difficulties associated with mixing CMC:
- Dispersion and hydration can prove slow and difficult, especially at higher concentrations forming lumps when added to water.
- Premixing powders with the carboxymethyl cellulose adds to process time and operation costs.
- Hard to break down agglomerates leading to long mixing times and low yield.
- Once viscosity increase has started, agitation of the solution becomes difficult.
- Long mixing times.
- If not properly mixed, the carboxymethyl cellulose can lead to undesired changes in product viscosity.
Mixquip high shear solution:
The process involved in mixing of Carboxymethyl Cellulose can be sped up using a Mixquip High Shear agitator.
- Carboxymethyl Cellulose is added straight into the vessel and liquid mix.
- High Speed rotation of the rotor create powerful suction drawing the Carboxymethyl Cellulose into the liquid and into the workhead where they are instantly combined.
- The mixture is then forced out through the workhead into the main body of the solution.
Mixquip high shear agitators
- Ability to add carboxymethyl cellulose straight into the vessel, eliminating operator error.
- No pre-mixing required.
- Achieve agglomerate free mix.
- Maximum yield.
- Consistent product quality on every batch.
- Fast mix times, more product processed.
- Stable viscosity achieved in the end product.
- Greater uniformity.
Contact Mixquip to learn more
For more information about our high-shear mixer range and use in preparation of carboxymethyl cellulose solutions, contact our team on 1300 20 70 20 or email email@example.com. Our team look forward to discussing your application and help improve production for process demands.